Prior to Lok Sabha 2019 elections, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday announced new two schemes for farmers and farm labourers in the state.
Beginning from January 2019, every farmer will get Rs 5,000 per acre every year in two installments from the agriculture department. The Krisak Bandhu scheme will grant Rs 2 lakh to the kin of farmers who die due to any reason, including suicide.
W. Bengal CM: We’ve announced 2 programmes; first is for crop insurance where premium will be paid by state govt. In second we’ll give Rs 5000 per acre annually to farmers, also in case of death of a farmer b/w age of 18-60, compensation up to Rs 2lakh will be given to the family pic.twitter.com/s8CyMu0sck
— ANI (@ANI) December 31, 2018
“We have 72 lakh farmers and farm labourers. So we are introducing a new policy to grant Rs 2 lakh per farmer family in case of a death of a farmer,” the CM announced.
Claiming that her government is starting two new schemes despite severe financial burden, the Chief Minister said the government has already opted out tax on agricultural land.
Earlier, at a rally in South 24 Parganas district on December 26, the CM accused the Modi government at Centre for making false claims about paying the entire crop insurance amount to farmers. “The Centre is making false claim about paying the entire crop insurance amount to farmers. The Centre pays 20 per cent of the total crop insurance amount, and the rest 80 per cent is paid by the state,” she said.