India’s anti-satellite test created a serious threat to humans in space, said NASA administrator Jim Bridenstine on Monday.
The experiment has created 60 debris which are big enough to track, of which 24 are lying above the orbit of International Space Centre, he said in a town hall meeting with the officials of NASA.
Bridenstine described the experiment as a “terrible, terrible thing.” “And that kind of activity is not compatible with the future of human spaceflight that we need to see happen,” he added.
The ASAT hit Microsat-R satellite which had a mass of 750 kg. The collision produced 6000 pieces larger than 0.5 cm, according to NASA analysis.
The experiment puts the production activities that are going on in space which are tough to take place in gravity. “All of those are placed at risk when these kind of events happen — and when one country does it, then other countries feel like they have to do it as well,” he said.
PM Narendra Modi last week had told the country that India has become the fourth nation to acquire the capability of shooting down a satellite in the low Earth orbit.