A 6-year-old boy who has been tested positive for West Nile fever succumbed to death at the Kozhikode Medical College hospital on Monday.
Muhammad Shan was rushed to a private hospital near Kottakkal and was later on taken to Kozhikode Medical College due to soaring fever.
This illness, which is caused by the West Nile virus, is transmitted to humans via mosquito bites. The mosquitoes get the virus through infected birds. While the West Nile fever is relatively unknown to the region with only a few sporadic cases being reported in the past year.
Most people with this type of West Nile virus disease develop a fever with other symptoms such as headache, body aches, joint pains, vomiting, diarrhea, or rash.
The boy has been identified as Muhammad Shan from Vengara’s A R Nagar in Malappuram district of Kerala.
The Health Department has issued advisory on this issue within the State in the wake of the death of the paediatric death reported in Malappuram.
The Union health ministry has sent a disease surveillance team to Kerala to investigate the case of West Nile fever, which is rare in India.
As summer approaches, there are several other mosquito-borne illnesses which one should be wary of.